Most common causes of falls within the home can be easily prevented by creating a safe living space. This does not mean you need to make a complete change to your home but rather a few basic changes.
- Remove any tripping hazards: check each room and hallway and look for loose items such as carpets / slippery rugs. Replace or remove those items for effective fall prevention
- Lighting: increase the lighting throughout the home especially at the top and bottom of the stairs and between the bedroom and bathroom. You can also consider using a night light
- Remove Clutter: ensure hallways, corridors and staircases are kept clear at all times
- Buy non-slip mats: Bathtubs and showers, as well as floors in kitchens, bathrooms, and porches, can become extremely dangerous when wet. To prevent falls on slick surfaces, buy non slip mats
- Install grab bars and handrails: especially in the bathroom and along the staircase which are crucial for going up and down stairs, getting on and off the toilet, and stepping in and out of the bathtub without injury
- Avoid loose clothing: Avoid wearing clothing that is too long or touching the floor, as this can cause you to trip over