The Household Benefits Package is a payment from the state to help with the cost of electricity or gas, and also for your TV licence. The package is available to everyone in the state over 70 years of age and to most people over 66. In some exceptional cases, some people under 66 can also qualify.
How much are the allowances ?
There are 2 allowances in the Household Benefits Package:
- Allowance 1 covers the cost of electricity or gas: Currently (2017) the allowance is €35 per month, and is normally paid in the form of a credit to your utility bill.
- Allowance 2 provides a Free Television Licence. When you qualify for the Household Benefits Package and have been awarded a Free Television Licence, the Department of Social Protection issues you with a TV licence, and also notifies An Post of your entitlement to a free licence.
The Telephone Allowance was discontinued from 1 January 2014.
Who qualifies for the Household Benefits Package ?
Everyone resident in the stage and aged 70 or over qualifies for the Household Benefits Package. In this case you do not need to be getting a pension and the package is not means tested. You also qualify if you are getting full-time Carer’s Allowance (if you are living with the person you are caring for).
You can also qualify for the Household Benefits Package if you are between 66 and 70 and are getting:
- State Pension (Contributory)
- State Pension (Non-Contributory)
- Widow’s, Widower’s or Surviving Civil Partner’s (Contributory) Pension
- Deserted Wife’s Benefit or Allowance
- An ordinary Garda Widow’s Pension from the Department of Justice and Equality or
- An equivalent Social Security Pension/Benefit from a country covered by EU Regulations or from a country with which Ireland has a Bilateral Social Security Agreement
Furthermore, you can qualify if you are under 66 and are getting:
- Disability Allowance
- Invalidity Pension
- Blind Pension
- Incapacity Supplement or Workmen’s Compensation with Disablement Pension (for at least 12 months)
- An equivalent Social Security Pension/Benefit from a country covered by EU Regulations.
Further information can be found here
An application form for the households benefit package can be downloaded here.